Dark circle appearance can be a combination of different factors such as :
- Due to stress or even eye strain.
- Irregular sleeping pattern
- Thinner skin on the lower eyelids, allowing pigment and vessels to be more visible.
- Gravity, which causes under eye skin to move downward, inviting more stretching and thinning. This allows the blood vessels and pigment to become more visible.
- Cumulative sun damage plays a significant role. Sun damage exacerbates these characteristics by increasing skin thinning and melanin content.
- Sunken eyes: tear troughs tend to exacerbate appearance of dark circles.
- Excessive eye-rubbing.
- General poor health.
Milder peeling agents like arginine , lactic acid or low concentration of glycolic acid peels helps to reduce dark circles in 8-10 sessions done at 2 weekly intervals. The peels are very safe procedure. There are no tell tale signs and the person can go back to work immediately after the peel.
special eye rollers with a depth of .25 mm are available.
Sunken eyes can also create an effect of dark circles due to a shadowing effect.In such cases, a hyaluronic acid filler can be used to fill the hollow under eyes thus getting rid of the shadow and the apparent dark circles.
It is a very effective treatment for dark circles as well as under eye rejuvenation.